Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Senior Kicker Makes First Field Goal Of Career

By Leroy Bridges
Sports Editor

East Lansing, Mich. – With 4:49 left in the game and his team down by one, senior kicker Casey Welch attempted – and made – the first field goal of his career.
The 18-yarder gave Purdue an eventual 17-15 win and Welch an indescribable feeling.
"Something you've been waiting your entire life for (is) to go out there and kick," Welch said after the Boilers' win over Michigan State (4-6, 1-5 Big Ten). "To have this be my one kick, it's unbelievable."
Welch got his opportunity after freshman Chris Summers missed two field goals earlier in the game. Coach Joe Tiller said he made the switch because Summers, who is 8-for-18 this season, is less accurate on shorter attempts.
"Maybe we're going to have a short field goal kicker and a long field goal kicker," Tiller said. "I told (special teams coach Mark Hagen) to get Casey warming up because if we are kicking, Casey's going to do it."
Welch said he didn't know whether or not he was going to be kicking until just after a timeout was called. Fortunately for Welch, who transferred from West Virginia four years ago with hopes of winning the starting job, he had been warming up.
"I try to stay warm all game, so I was loose enough for it," Welch said. "I was just like 'Let's go out there and kick it.' I just kicked it."
The kick, which was a "no doubter" according to holder Curtis Painter, was Welch's first game-situation field goal since high school five years ago.
"It's a story-book ending to my career here," Welch said. "It's been five years since I've done that and to go out there and help my team get closer to a bowl is awesome."
Hagen said it was no surprise to him that Welch made the kick. In fact, there was no doubt in his mind Welch would come through in the high-pressure situation.
"Today his number was called and I knew he could do it," Hagen said. "It certainly was a crucial situation and he came through."
Welch said his emotion in the locker room following the game was overwhelming, especially since Purdue (6-4, 3-3) had lost four of its last five games.
"The emotions ran high and it me deep after the game," Welch said. "I'm a team guy and I am just happy to help us out anyway I can."
Welch's kick gives the Boilers their second win on the road this season and with one more win, they will be bowl eligible.

Published in the Purdue Exponent on Nov. 6, 2006.

No comments: