Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Traveling To Games Doesn't Bother Sophomore's Supportive Parents

By Leroy Bridges
Executive Reporter

The Kramer family is becoming legendary at men's basketball games.
Sophomore guard Chris Kramer is the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year and his parents, Jon and Susan, are visible and audible fixtures cheering for the Boilers.
In two seasons, the Kramers have racked up miles with trips to South Carolina, Missouri, Ohio, New Orleans and Indianapolis. Now, it's Washington D.C. for today's NCAA tournament first round game against Baylor.
"It's hard for us to miss games," Susan said. "For him to play at this level, he needs our support so we're there, good or bad."
Time, money and weather rarely get in the way of Jon and/or Susan attending a game. Both have convenient job situations that allow them to take a lot of time traveling during the basketball season - and Jon has plenty of plastic to fund the trips.
"Sure, it's going to get costly," he said. "I am sure my credit card is going to get maxed out, but it is nothing compared to four years of our lives that is better for it."
Despite treacherous weather conditions the weekend Purdue played in Madison, Wis., the Kramers made the trip. Two days, $200, a crash and a Purdue win later, it was all worth it.
"We knew that was going to be a long trip, but not that long," Jon said.
Along with traveling around the country watching games, Susan talks to her son - Christopher or Bubba, to her - daily.
"To be honest, I am a mama's boy," Chris said.
Maybe that's why she is the loudest fan at every Purdue game - home or away. At first glance, one might think Jon is the vocal support for Chris at a game. Jon, a probation office for Huntington County, stands about 6-feet, 3-inches tall. Instead, he lets his wife do the cheering - and does she ever.
"I yell," Susan said. "I yell all the time. I don't shut up."
It's not odd for referees to glare in Susan's direction or even tell her to quiet down. Earlier this season in a game at Mackey Arena she was told to "shut up or get kicked out."
"I always have my voice and this is how I am," Susan said. "I like to ask the refs, 'What are you going to do, kick me out? Ref the game.'"
Ideally, Jon is at least two seats away from Susan, quietly taking photos of the game, occasionally making a comment about a missed call.
"I don't normally sit next to her. It gets on my nerves and makes me nervous," said Jon, who has taken more than 1,000 photos this season. "I just like capturing the moments with my camera."
Chris stresses that he doesn't hear his mom yelling during games, but Susan thinks he does. Either way, Chris appreciates their presence.
"It's great just to know that your parents are supportive of you no matter where you go," Chris said. "When your name gets called and you go out there and see your parents there, it's a great relief just to know that they are supporting me there."
Jon and Susan arrived in Washington Wednesday and have plans to travel as long as the team wins in the NCAA tournament, which could mean adding Phoenix and San Antonio to the list of cities visited for Purdue basketball.

Published in the Purdue Exponent on March 18, 2008

No comments: